Mumma makes theyal very often...Most of the times she makes konju theeyal...And all in our family likes this a lot...When I was in 6th standard, I used to go to my father's friend's house for Malayalam tution..I reach there around 7 or 7.30am. So i used to carry my breakfast or sometimes have at home itself. But if Aunty prepares Dosa nd Brinjal Theeyal, that day I never miss that. And she make me have it as she too know it is my fav...Even after years, when i go there if there is theeyal I never misses it :)...
Bread fruit - 1
Onion - 1 medium sliced
Shallots/ pearl onions - 10 to 15
Green chillies- 2 slit
Tomato - 1 large cubed
Grated coconut - Around 1.5 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 3 tsp
Chilly powder - 2.5 tsp
Curry leaves - 2-3 sprigs
Valan puli/Tamarind - 1 tbsp seeded
sauf - 1 tsp
Salt - To taste
Coconut/ Refined oil - As required
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
You have to,
1. Skin, wash the breadfruit. Remove the core and cut it into cubes, wash and set aside. Approx 2-3 cups of cubes you may get.
3. Now add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, seeded tamarind, sauf and saute till the raw smell disappears.
4. Grind this coconut into a fine powder when it cools down(It leaves oil) .
5. Add 1 cup of water to this powder and form a paste.
7. Add mustard and allow to popup.
8. Add chopped onion, Shallots, little salt,curry leaves and saute until onions turns translucent.
9. Now add the Bread fruit, tomato and saute for 2 minutes.
10. Add the ground coconut paste
11. Mix well and add 1.5 cup water and salt.
12. Bring to a boil, reduce the flame and cover with a lid and cook until the bread fruit is cooked, gravy is semi-thick and the gravy leaves oil.(if any point of time you feel the water is less add 1/2 cup of water)
13. Now the curry is ready. Remove from flame.
14. Serve with rice or roti.
The more slow is flame while you fry the onion, the more tastier the curry will be. And also depends how smoother is the ground coconut paste...
To make Konchu / shrimp / prawns theeyal,
1. Replace the bread fruit with same quantity of prawns
2. Add 1 drumstick which is cut into 1 inch pieces at step 6.
I have this with rice and curd...yummmm :)